Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Five Fundamentals for a great horse/rider relationship


Someone once told me, “You can see into a person’s soul when they’re riding a horse”.   That idea has always remained close to my heart, because the connection between a horse and a rider can only be pure and simple.  Developing a true connection with your horse is a self-less act.  This does not meant spoiling your horse nor does it mean reaching to levels of high competition.  A true connection is one of respect and trust.  You must learn this before anything.
I starting riding when I was two years old and my parents bought me my first horse when I was eight.  The first trainer I had ever trained under sold my parents a four-year-old Arabian gelding who was in no way suitable for an eight year old.  A young horse might be okay for someone who has the time and money to keep it in full training, but being that my parents could only afford one or two lessons a week, I was left with five or six extra days to figure out how to just “stay on” my half broke Arabian.   At thirteen I began to work with a young Arabian mare that had been left in her stall for a year.  I was able to re-start her training and begin a small show career.  Anyone familiar with the Arabian show circuit can tell you the most important element for the horse is the “head set”.  The “head set” is simply riding with the horse’s head down while its nose is a few inches from its chest.  My inquisitive nature led me to research how to achieve a perfect “head set” without the use of draw reins, or artificial aids that force the horse’s head down.  Then as years went by I began to ride with hunter/jumper trainers, western pleasure trainers, eventing trainers, and a few dressage instructors.  I was a working student, riding as many as 12 horses a day, most often horses who had training issues. This included young horses imported from Europe, and Thoroughbreds off of the track.  Eventually this led to training horses with extreme issues, which usually came from severe abuse.  
Through all my different experiences with horses and riders I have come to a conclusion that most issues with horses can be resolved by following these five fundamentals:
1)    Understanding heard instincts.
2)    Proper communication.
3)    Biomechanics of the horse.
4)    Awareness of injury in your horse.
5)    Proper equipment.

These 5 fundamentals are key to having a successful relationship with your horse, in any discipline.  My goal in the horse industry is to educate riders and horse owners on these five fundamentals in order to promote a harmonious and confident partnership between horse and rider.  It is essential to observe your horse’s reactions to you on the ground and under saddle and become familiar with how the horse communicates.  Your horse will tell you everything you need know, if you only listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment